Morris is home!

To: morris@autox.team.net
Subject: Morris is home!
From: gc <litfuse@isp01.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 12:28:29 -0400
It's been a while since I've posted; it has been three(!) years since I've
played with my Morris.
For example, I'm only 50% sure it's a 1960 model... 2 door saloon.  It
might be a '61
But we're reunited at last!  O Frabjous Day, Caloo Callay!
This morning, I went 45 miles north to Michigan, found poor Morris where I
left it in a storage lot, pumped up the tyres, fired it up (yes, it did)
and drove it home to its new cement pad beside my garage in South Bend.  I
sneakily drove it southeast along country backroads below the radar with my
wife following me  close behind.  She signalled to me en route that, yes,
indeed, I WAS going 60 mph!!  (probably shouldn't have, considering the
brakes...)  I slipped into South Bend and triumphantly drove down my street
and into its new home.  Amazingly, no problems!!
Immediately after parking, I had to dispatch several confused yellowjackets
and wasps who were rudely awakened from their nests somewhere in my right
front fender and above the horn.  Yikes!  I'm glad they didn't come say hi
during the trip.  How I missed them during the pre-trip
oil/water/underbonnet check, I'll never know.  I just dug out the books and
I wanted to ask the list a couple re-introductory questions:

1: Leaning out the carburettor: clockwise on the hex nut, I've found.
Clockwise looking down from the dashpot?  (Boy, am I rusty.)   It runs rich.

2: Tyre pressures.  I've got 175-75 14s on it (best I could find at the
time).  Best guess?

3: My 948 motor oil dipstick bottoms out with a clunk.  Supposed to do
that?  Seems to fit, otherwise, through a hole at the side of the block.

4:  Carb to manifold spacer has a curious electrical connection, of course
detached.  Naw, not a heater, could it be?

5: Timing:  I did it once and hated it, crawling under the thing with a
strobe.  Is there a better way?  I think it's off.

6: I bought the car in pieces in 1997 and reassembled them in 1998 to
running condition.  I was told that the motor had a fresh rebuild back in
the '70s, and then parked in a garage until 1997. I nursed it to running
and finally drove it about 25 miles prior to parking in 1999.  I re-did the
brake system, replacing everything but the drums, emptied the curious vile
yellow syrup from the fuel tank and cleaned/ rebuilt the fuel supply.  I
changed over to a spin on filter.   Probably several other things as well,
though my memory fades.

What behavior should I be wary of, and what more should I do mechanically?
BTW, my brakes... well, you know.  I will probably have the drums turned.
Right now, I have to plan my stops early.  I won't drive in traffic the way
they are.  Did I mention that cost is an object?  Allow me to do so.  I'm a
teacher in a catholic high school.

7:  How much of the car is the same as a Spridget, in terms of spare parts?
  Good sources of used parts, anyone?  Bolt-on air conditioning units?
(just kidding)

I'm looking forward to tinkering with it again.  I have a new interior, yet
uninstalled.  I will need to learn how to paint.  I will need a sand
blaster.  I will need time.  I have the enthusiastic support of my family.

Any advice is welcomed.  I'm going out to sit in it now.  AHHH.  Another
LBC.  (My other is an MGB.)  Still room for improvement... A Jag?  Rover?

Gary Cook