Re:The Morris is a Morris!

To: morrisminors@smartgroups.com
Subject: Re:The Morris is a Morris!
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:40:24 -0800 (PST)
>Rick, Great little article. I have just started to identify all of the
>parts of the 1958 pick up I bought here in Houston and am going to start
>the painting of the parts in a couple of weeks. I am in the process of a
>job change so things are going to be a little slow. One question , I have
>the original engine for the truck and the guy had gone through it so it is
>all up to speed and runs great but of course it is down on horse power so
>do I put my spare MGB engine and transmission in it? I read alot from the
>guys on the web about datsun engines but would never think of that. Has
>the B engine been tried and is it a mess? Thanks  Karl

DON'T USE A B ENGINE!!!

It is too heavy and too tall - I drove a Traveller back in the 1970s with
an MGB engine and overdrive trans. The radiator had to be pushed so far
forward that they couldn't fit grille bars, the bell housing buzzed against
the steering rack and fed back through the steering wheel and the sump was
about 3" off the ground and scraped on minor dips (no, that was NOT the
name of our club!). It was fast enough but very obviously, not the way to
go.

The first popular swap in the States was the Cortina 1600 GT running gear
that was shared with the baseline Ford Pinto and the British made 1600
Capris. They were sort of plentiful in California and worked quite well.
Then the Japanese cars started to roll in 1967 or so but the engines were
also too big until the Toyota Corolla and Datsun 1200 (Sunny) came out.
Both of these engines fit well and the trans ratios were perfect for a
saloon. The Datsun was based on the BMC A series and has everything in the
same place so it was the easiest of the two to do. These later came in
1300, 1400 and 1500cc and 5-speed overdrive gearboxes as well - I once
owned a 61 Van with a 1400/4-speed/4:55 rear end gears/13" Vega wheels that
would blow the doors off my cousin's new Toyota SR5 pickup!!! (1978???).

I would run the stock engine and see how well it works. If you are looking
for horsepower, buy a fast car. Remember a Morris is a Morris. I have owned
over 50 Morrises over the last 30 years and have found that my favourites
were standard 1967 models with wider radial tyres on 13" wheels. The (in my
questionable opinion) 1100 engine is the best compromise between power,
understressed dependability and economy - use the standard single carb with
a low restriction air cleaner, a glasspak silencer and electronic ignition
- the standard 4:22 rear end is just right and the bigger front drum brakes
work in harmony with the rest as to not really need disc brakes if the
stock ones are kept in great shape. I really like the idea of the add-on
front sway bar as well.

A good piece of advise would to get it running as well as possible with
what you have before worying about what you dont have - these are simple
cars, keep your part of it simple as well. You have plenty of time and will
have a better perspective on modifications AFTER you understand how it goes
together stock.

Cheers,

Rick Feibusch
Venice, CA