Upper Cross Axle Braces- a few thoughts/and as original

To: emog@lyris.dundee.net
Subject: Upper Cross Axle Braces- a few thoughts/and as original
From: deemi@juno.com
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:31:41 -0400
Upper Cross Axle Braces 1950's-1960's

These went from the top of the frame rail to the top of the Kingpin assy,

they were simple, with round holes at each end, with tight fit,

My understanding is they help on braking to help prevent fade, and are
more of  a tension brace setup.

My Super Sports came with them, flat metal tubing, hammered flat at each
end and bent at angles,

Cuthberts race brace articles speaks on them, and speaks of a Road and
Track article that spoke of them.

Originally they had a square bit of the rubber used in the toolbox and
interior cut about 2 by 2 inches and this goes above the bracing under
the fender.

The other bit thats just as important, is to make sure the assy is
neutral to start, that when your fender light is off, that the wing brace
hole is fitting well, and you dont have to pull on the fender to get it
through.

The Factory ledger lists these as Upper Cross Axle Braces, and the
Charlie Curtis test drive books lists them as U.C.A.B.

So I would say thats what the factory would call that bit in the 50-60's
at least.

I have pictures of the originals and some from other cars fitted
originally with them.  Dr. Alderson's Baby Doll spec racer in England has
them as well, and its a late 50's car.

Bob Bowie in Maine