Re: It's Alive!

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: It's Alive!
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 18:41:46 -0400
At 11:07 AM 10/6/02 EDT, WIJIB@aol.com wrote:
>My '62 +4 four seat has been sitt'n around for 32 years.  30K on the engine
>and it fired up.  I shut it off after a few seconds.  There is sludge, etc.,
>that was removed from the pan but we all know that a tear-down will need to
>be done.  However, I was wondering if I could "clean it up" and run it for a
>while. My dad said that they used to run kerosene thru old engines (briefly)
>to de-gunk them.

Bill,

I think I'd have to agree with Richard Feibusch's response.  As he points out,
be sure to get it to operating temp and run it for some time after it reaches
temp.  We bought a Hornet from my wife's father.  He lived about 1 mi. from
work.  We had about 30K mi. on the eng. when it died.  The oil passages all
got clogged up because he didn't drive it enough to get the oil hot enough
to desludge it.

John

        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan