Re: Broken Sub-Frame

To: "morgan list" <morgans@autox.team.net>, "Don Sforza"
Subject: Re: Broken Sub-Frame
From: "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 22:37:05 -0500
Don
Was it the tube that broke or the steel plate mounting frame?
If the break is at or around the joint of the tube and plate frame you may
have a problem getting it welded as the subframe is brazed together and you
can not get a good weld over metal that has been brazed.
If it is the tube and it can be welded, you might be able to save it. I know
of a Morgan that had the tube break about 3 inches from the steel mounting
plate.  A steel rod was placed in the tube and the tube welded up. The car
has been driven for the 20 years I've know it like that without a problem.
A little trick I learned long ago was when replacing your kingpins take the
old ones and screw the bottom of one into the top of the other and  slide
them into the bottom tube. The kingpins fit into the tube perfectly and adds
a bit more strength to the tube. Additional worn king pins can later be
added forming a solid bar across the tube.

Bob Noguiera