Re: Tail Muffler fell off

To: "Morgans@autox.team.net"@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tail Muffler fell off
From: lmg@gomog.com
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 07:42:46 -0400
Ross Jones wrote:

> Today we started out for a drive, and the tail pipe muffler on my 1987 4/4
> fell off backing out of the garage. I simply loosened the clamp that held
> the 12 inch piece on, removed it, and we continued on our way, without any
> noticeable difference, including exhaust sound.
>
> My question to the list -- is this secondary little muffler necessary, or
> can I just weld a straight pipe to the end?

There was a discussion on this at eMOG a few weeks ago. The little
"muffler" that fell off near the end of your pipe is called a
"resonator". It's only purpose is to "muffle" sound and it provides
negligible back pressure if any at all.

Resonators are too far away from the engine to heat enough to combat the
rusting process and are generally a pain. The ones on newer Morgans are
made of stainless so they don't rust on the outside but are only mildly
less silly. Pretty much all upgraded and/or performance systems for
Morgans toss them as well...especially for your year and model so it
shouldn't be a concours issue.

Consider it falling off a blessing and attach a pipe extension to the
required length..preferably in polished stainless (smile)

Lorne

///
///