Firewall Fabrication Comments

To: "morgans@autox.team.net" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Firewall Fabrication Comments
From: "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@mdmpe.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 08:16:20 -0700
A hearty thank you to all the respondents (~8-10) that had ideas,
comments, suggestions, and alternatives for my firewall problem.

I haven't decided exactly which course of action to follow yet but it
looks promising that I won't have to pay upwards of $500 for it
(whew).  Previous information indicated a $300 cost plus ~$250 for
shipping.

A few folks suggested the width may be an indicator of other
problems.  I've checked the width of the straight section of the
chassis and its within 1/8" of the original.  The width at the
firewall is determined by the amount of curvature in the z-channel as
it narrows to the front.
The curvature at the front of the new chassis is MORE rounded than the
original (and was evident when installing the front cross-frame - was
it ever TIGHT - we had to spread the front frame ends about 2" to fit
the cross-frame in) yet the curve started farther forward (hence the
wider space at the firewall - established by the length of the front
cross-member when it was welded).

If I ever order a new frame again, I will specify the width dimensions
at each of the cross members and the approximate width at the front of
the side rails.

Thanks again.

"Entropy Happens!"
Michael D. Miles, PE  Consulting Design Engineer
(503) 292-1234, FAX: (503) 292-1105
email: mdmiles@mdmpe.com
http://www.mdmpe.com/