Plus 4 Exhaust Manifolds

To: "morgans@autox.team.net" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Plus 4 Exhaust Manifolds
From: "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@mdmpe.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:56:49 -0700
I was comparing exhaust manifolds between my '61 and '68 Plus 4s and
noticed that the very late TR-4 motor in the '68 (so late in fact that
the engine number is later than the last engine number listed for
Triumph vehicles) has the same exhaust manifold as the '61, (TR-3B
motor).

I'm speculating that since the factory had already designed the
collector for the early manifold  that moving to the later split
exhaust manifold ('genuine' TR-4) would be a bit too complicated and
they chose to stay with the early style.  Perhaps the factory got a
great discount for using up old manifolds...

All this leads me to ask, has anyone messed around with adapting the
later manifold to their motor?  I've been toying with the idea but
there may be a very good reason not to: (overall length is too long,
why not just get a decent header?, adapting to the flex is too much
trouble, etc).

I welcome your thoughts...

--
"Entropy Happens!"
Michael D. Miles, PE  Consulting Design Engineer