Re: Wood Frame Assembly

To: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Subject: Re: Wood Frame Assembly
From: "Ernest(Chip) Brown" <Chip.Brown@msdw.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 13:16:57 -0500
The only thing I would add to what Chuck wrote is that you might want to
consider using a good waterproof wood glue on the tight joints, with
clamps. The only wood work I've done on my Morgan was in making up an
ash frame for the gas tank. I used carriage bolts to fasten it to the
frame and NO glue, so it could flex a bit. It had an oak frame when I
bought it that was held to the frame with dry wall screws, which sheared
away dramatically one fine Fall day cruising the pot holes of northern
Connecticut, costing me a nice Cuban cigar. On furniture work, I've
never been able to use brass screws without shearing them or boogering
up the heads. Always used mild steel. Maybe the soft soap is the answer.
Ash is very hard wood.

Chip Brown