topping rear shocks

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: topping rear shocks
From: BristolBul@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:36:45 EST
On my '61 Plus 4, I started to top up my rear shocks per Fred Sisson page
109. My shock says Armstrong on the side. The body of the shock sort of sits
on a diagonal with the  2 mounting holes in a vertical line. After vigorous
cleaning, I unscrewed what looked like a filler plug on, say, an MG-A shock
or a steering box and pulled out a fascinating valve thing sort of like a
dashpot piston damper. This can't be the filler. Now I see a small hex headed
object sticking out the side of the shock body near the top. After vigorous
cleaning, maybe this will be the filler hole plug. Am I on the right track?
Please enlighten me before I continue screwing things up!

By the way, I have a Honda 600 scissors jack which is petite, but I haven't
used it yet and hope I never will. People have been talking about jacks a
lot. Thanks for the idea of putting a board under the scissors jack - I
hadn't thought of it. I would put one over it too if I used it. I've done a
bit of jacking in the garage using 2 floor jacks in parallel with protective
wood blocks where the jacks meet the car. I haven't bent anything yet as far
as I can tell.

What about the shock filler hole?

Dave Chappell!