+4 waterpump

To: Morgan Forum <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: +4 waterpump
From: A Hart Jr <arthart@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 20:55:51 -0400
After my TR-4 powered '64 +4 "lubed for life" water pump from Moss
Motors gave up after less than 5,000 miles, I decided I should rebuild
the two original pump bodies with brass impellers and real grease
fittings that I have to replace the defective Moss unit.  So I purchased
a "rebuild kit" from Penny Bates which consists of two bearings and a
seal.  The problem is I have no original shafts, only the bodies and the
impellers; and the shaft, bearings and seals in the Moss unit are
different than original.  Soooo does anyone have an original shaft (even
a damaged one is OK) that I can use for dimensions to make some new ones
or a sketch with the dimensions to help me out?  If not how about
someone with an original pump that needs rebuilding that I can take
apart to measure the shaft and then rebuild yours for the price of the
parts?

I can't believe this water pump gave up after less than 5000 miles.  Now
this pump isn't even driving a fan as I have an electric fan and I run
the belt very loose to keep water pump and alternator (yes I replaced
the generator with a GM alternator) bearings happy.  Yet it was the
front bearing that looks like it ran out of lubricant, got hot and
destroyed itself.  Any similar experiences or comments from anyone?

Art Hart
Chester, NJ