Re: lubrication

To: <DGreimel@aol.com>, <TrmpetDave@aol.com>, <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: lubrication
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:59:47 -0700
It  is true that 30 SAE motor oil  was the original recommendation for use
in the Moss gearbox.  I was told that using 90 EP would damage the needle
roller bearings in the box because they would not get adequate lubrication.
I can say absolutely, from many years of experience, that that is complete
"bunk".  The 30 SAE motor oil doesn't protect the gears and syncros as well
as the 90 EP and contributes to the premature failure of the syncros.
Overhaul the gearbox, set up the syncros and shift hubs properly, and use
the best gear oil available.  We have had good success with Chevron Delo 80
90,  Kendall 80-90-140, GM limited slip gear oil, and lately Redline MTL.
                                                            Regards, Greg
Solow