Re:Tech Temp gauge

To: "DGreimel@aol.com" <DGreimel@aol.com>,
Subject: Re:Tech Temp gauge
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 99 22:41:25 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

The Plus four gauge is somewhat unique in that  when off, the needle sits on
HOT and once tuned on moves to Cold. ( see below for the reason )   So if
the needle is not moving at all  try just grounding  wire to the sending
unit for a few seconds and see if the needle moves if not the gauge is the
problem, if it does move the sender is the problem.
Note Check: to see if your radiator is grounded . If  you are using the
mounts that look like mini  motor mounts and you don't have the rods from
the radiator to the tool box then there's no ground to the radiator

The resistance value  won't help. Inside the sending  unit is a bimetallic
bar wrapped in nichrome wire and the end of the bimetallic bar is a set of
contact points.
When the current is turned on  the gauge needle moves because it too is
attached to a bimetallic bar rapped in nichrome wire .As the wire heats up
the bar bends moving the needle.  Since the ground is the sending unit, as
the needle is moving the bimetallic bar  in the  sending unit also heats up
until the bar opens the contact points on the end and there is no ground so
both bars start cooling until the sending unit bar again closes the points
and the current starts flowing again.
Or Simply put the sending unit is a on off  switch   and the longer  its off
the hotter the gauge reads.

  Bob Nogueira

> Date: Monday, 23-Aug-99 06:04 PM
>
> From: DGreimel@aol.com         \ America Online: (DGREIMEL)
> To:   Marquis, Gary            \ Internet:    (gmarquis@csuchico.edu)
> To:   MORGANS                  \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
>
> Subject: Re: Temp gauge
>
> You can certainly test the sending unit with an ohm meter, if only you can
 get
> the specifications that tell you what the resistance value should be a
various
> temperatures.  If you find that out, please share with me.  I don`t  know
if
> mine is any good either although I am sure the gauge unit is bad. Good
Luck!