RE: Bonnnet Stays

To: <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bonnnet Stays
From: "Jeff Webster" <carfindr@tiac.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 17:13:13 -0400
Hi all,
I just completed a nice little bonnet stay modification on my '58 Hi-cowl.
It came out well, so I thought I'd share it with you.
If you have a car with the full length tool box, this is for you. It is a
further improvement on Fred Sissons bonnet stay suggestion.
What I did, was rather than attach two 'U' brackets to the sides of the tool
box from the outside, I attached one each side at the front, but on the
inside of the box. I then made a small hole in the top of the box, on the
outside corner, installed a grommet with and I/D of 5/16ths, that the stay
rod slides through. The result a very clean looking installation. All you
see from the out side are four small screw  heads that are holding the clip
in the inside of the tool box - and a grommet on top.
Then cut a 28" piece of 5/16ths aluminum rod, get a rubber vacuum blanking
plug for the end and you are done!
I got my two brackets off a "sliding door latch". Look for it at your local
hardware store and you'll see what I mean. The 'V800' 1 and 1/2" latch (made
by 'National')I bought cost $5.69c. Add $6 for the rod and less than $3 for
the rubber bits and stainless screws, and for under $15 you have two
excellent bonnet stays!

Regards,

Jeff.