Re: Kingpins/Morgan Shake!

To: Jeff Webster <carfindr@tiac.net>
Subject: Re: Kingpins/Morgan Shake!
From: Jim & Nancy Burgess <badgermt@cybertrails.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 16:54:42 -0700
Jeff Webster wrote:

> Hi Gang,
> Thanks, for the input and words of encouragement - I only wish you all lived
> down the street so you could come over and have a look!
> It seems that I may be jumping the gun a little visa vie the Kingpins, so
> let's back up.
> First thing I want to do is check the torque wrench settings on the front
> hubs - can any one come up with a number for these - there is nothing in the
> autobook manual. My car is a 58 + 4 Roadster with drums all around and steel
> wheels.
> After that I will check the dampers, steering rod ends (which I think are
> ok) and the other attached components.
> Colin in Las Cruses had said that if the car had been laid up a long time
> (which mine had) and that the tires were over inflated (which mine were)
> that the flat spots could cause the shakes. This isn't so much a 'shake' or
> 'shimmy' as a   'wiggle'. It's kind of feels like one of the front wheels is
> severely buckled and about to fall off. This only becomes apparent at around
> 55mph. I don't have the balls to try to drive through it - or with it, as
> soon as it starts I ease off the gas and it goes away.
> Any way I'll check those hub nuts first if someone has a torque setting for
> them, and we'll go from there.
> Imagine my frustration - sunny day, wind in hair, then to have it all
> snatched away!
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Many years ago I had a similar problem with a flat rad Morgan.  The problem
turned out to be a cracked front brake drum   .   .   .   a radial crack going
around the drum, next to the hub where the studs were mounted.  I was led to
believe this is not a totally unusual occurrence.

Hope this is not the situation with you but the possiblity warrants checking it
out before trying to "drive through it".

Good luck,

Jim