Re: Bent Chassis cures

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bent Chassis cures
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 18:16:17 -0400
>At 11:34 AM 5/23/99 -0400, Jeff Webster wrote:
>>Hi gang,
>>Well I have discovered (when I tried to replace my doors) that I too have
>>the 'kicked-up' chassis at the back on the passenger side. I have located
>>the crack right behind the brake drum and cleaned it all up ready to be
>>fish-plated. The question I have is this:
>>Have any of you, who have dealt with this problem discovered a 'home style'
>>way of bending the last two foot of chassis back into place? Obviously you
>>can place a jack stand under the kink, but how to I get the leverage
>>required - me jumping up and down on the bumper is not enough? I have a
>>floor jack, a scissors jack, but no long lengths of 'I' Beam - any ideas?

Jeff,

  It might be easier to trailer the chassis to a frame shop and let them
streighten it.

  The other possibility is to apply a lot of heat to the area to make it
easier to bend.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: webus80.wang.com/BI (new adderss)