Re: Oil Leak

To: "Jeff Webster" <carfindr@tiac.net>, <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Leak
From: Eric Cummins <ecummins@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 07:47:40 -0400
Jeff,

You should have gotten two small T shaped cork gaskets that go one on each
side of the little block that covers the front main bearing. If the leak is
comming from there you will have to start over to fix it. However one thing
you might try first is to make sure that your oil filler cap vent is clean
. If the engine is not venting properly it will build up pressure and cause
leaks.

EC

At 08:41 PM 5/13/99 -0400, Jeff Webster wrote:
>Hi there,
>Some what pissed today, as I feel I am nearing completion on my 'quickie'
>restoration, something I thought I had already sorted broke again (the
>handbrake cable - brand new too?
>Any way the question de jour: I replaced the oil pan gasket, and did a nice
>job of ensuring all bolt holes were caulked. But low and behold I still have
>a leak. It seems that it is not coming from the gasket, but rather from the
>crack where the little block that covers the front main bearing is - you
>know directly beneath the timing chain cover. Is this my front main seal
>leaking? Or is this something I can solve fairly easily, i.e.: without
>removing the pan again?
>
>Regards,
>
>Jeff

Eric Cummins 59 +4 2 str