Re: Universal truths found under a Morgan

Subject: Re: Universal truths found under a Morgan
From: "L.D. McLaughlin, Jr." <ldmcjr@zebra.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 15:22:11 -0500
> Just finished a midnight shop session under the 4/4, installing bumpers, new
> oil pan, removing oil cooler, etc.  There's bound to be a lesson in human
> behavior to be learned from this car.  Summary - (condition of car when I got
> it....)
>
> Wiring - Absolute freaking bodge job.  Every wire on the car has been
> spliced, twisted together, shorted against the frame.  Wires are connected
> together in mid-air with 1/4-20 bolts.  Seven miles of drooping oily black
> tape.  I've pulled at least 100 feet of wire out of the car that goes nowhere
> and there's still lots left.  Grounds are all lousy, connectors "crimped"
> with regular pliers, no color codes; at one point a 15 foot piece was used to
> connect two points 6 inches apart and the rest just jammed under the dash in
> a big wad.
>
> Why, oh why, would someone spend somewhere between $5- and $10,000 on all
> that nice equipment, Accusumps, Watts links, 6-1/2 welded wheels, fuel cells,
> built engine, etc. and then leave a wiring job that won't let the car go one
> lap without something falling off?  It's like Ben Grimm built 90% of the car
> and then turned into The Thing to finish the wiring and just slammed it
> together with his mitts.  Is it a comment on the human condition?

Lannis -

Could you or anyone out there tell me why a delightful car gets ruined over
a period of years? Everyone knows or has personal experience with a used car
that is just a complete screwup... Why does anyone mess up a completely
simple thing on a car? Wouldn't it be a lot more logical to just replace a
connection or part than to go to all the trouble to put some horror story
into the car that's illogical?

Just venting... and this from someone whose first car was a used Edsel!

Tony McLaughlin
--
http://www.zebra.net/~ldmcjr

ldmcjr@zebra.net