Re: 165R15

To: tjsouz@epix.net
Subject: Re: 165R15
From: Bob Tescione <mogman@rpa.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:43:57 -0500
tjsouz@epix.net wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I'm ready to buy tires for the project 1952 +4 four-seater.  Checking
> with my local tire shop I found two candidates readily available: Dunlop
> SP20 and Firestone F560 (both radials).  It appears either will fit.
> Dimensions are: (inches)
>                 Section Width   Tread   Overall Diam.
> Dunlop SP20     6.3             4.4     25.4
> Firestone F560  6.6             5.6     24.5
>
> A section width of about 6.5 inches would make a good fit and not rub
> the front springs.  Are there other candidate tires and what experience
> do you have with 165R15 tires on a Morgan?  I have been using Vredestein
> 165SR15 tires on my '58 +4 for about 15 years with good results.
>
> Regards, Tony Souza

Hi Tony:
I just read the article in the Rough Rider about the neat thing you did
for that family whose senior member had a love for Mog 3 wheelers. Very
nice!

About tyres. I'm using 165x15 Avon's on my '51 Plus 4. Better ride and
cornering than the cross ply alternatives. Ive also gotten the
impression recently that 165s are getting harder to find. I suspect a
Pirelli P3 may still be available in that size but havent bought any
lately. For my TVR with 5 1/2" wide wheels, I replaced the 165x15s with
195/65x15. It might not be a practical choice on the narrower Morgan
wheel...but then you could always have the wheels widened.

Best wishes
Bob Tescione
mogman@rpa.net