Time Trial Results

Subject: Time Trial Results
From: arlo j levisen <alevisen@gdhscats.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 12:23:39 +0300
DFLer's: this past Saturday, the 13th of June, 1998, I ran our '87 Plus
8 in the SOLO II time trials at Brookings, SD.

In all, I ran the car seven (7) times, but I goofed up the first two (2)
so bad that I don't even count them (couldn't figure out how the "tree"
worked and then hit fifth gear instead of third - twice).  So, my
results were:

   RUN      RESPONSE TIME    ELAPSED TIME    MPH

   #3        .223 sec       10.654 sec      70.355   1/8th mile

   #4        .231 sec       10.787 sec      70.291   strip/660'

   #5        .153 sec       10.567 sec      70.552

   #6       -.230 sec       10.673 sec      70.737

   #7        .636 sec       10.525 sec      70.415

While my skill level at all this is not too high, I think that impacts
more on the response time/elapsed time numbers as opposed to the miles
per hour.

In general, I was surprised at how slow the car turned out to be.  In
the literature for my era of a car there is quite a bit of mention of
0-60 mph times of 5.3 seconds/5.5 seconds, etc.  Those numbers simply
had to have been more wistful thinking than reality - or the cars being
tested had been modified in some way or other.

There were some 50-60 cars there and the majority were modified
dragsters.  Of the stock street cars, two (2) 1997 BMW M 3's ran
consistently at 73-74 mph.  An older Mustang, early 90's, also ran that
same speed. A Cobra replicar built in Nebraska and with a Ford 427
engine ran 82-83 mph.  The old muscle cars from the '60/'70's ran pretty
much in the high 70's mph.  The NO cars all ran 104-105 mph and the
alcohol cars were in at about 143-145 mph.

All the Corvette guys wimped out so didn't get to see them run.  No
Vipers either - and there are 6 of them in our region.

I would be really curious if anyone else has run a Plus 8 in an eighth
mile time trial.  We have a couple of quarter mile tracks in eastern
South Dakota, but I don't know if they have an "amateur day".  Have to
find out.

Later,

Arlo Levisen, Revillo, SD  '87 Plus 8