Re: Location of parts

To: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>,
Subject: Re: Location of parts
From: Jane McDaid <Murphys@ziplink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 23:32:36 -0400
At 09:42 PM 4/11/98 -0500, Bob Nogueira wrote:
>-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

>While on the topic  of left side and right side, could one of the Brits on
>the list please advise me as to which is the 'near' side and the 'off' side
>?
>
>Anyone know the origin of those terms?

These terms refer to the traditional way of mounting a horse, always done
from the left or near side. The right side, of course is the off side, but
not because one dismounts to the right. One dismounts to the left, off the
near side. "Off" is used as a synonym for away, or distant.

The non-traditional method of mounting a horse by vaulting aboard from
behind is  about as safe as leaping into your Morgan from a second story
window, particularly if the horse startles when the vaulter's hands hit the
beast's rump.

I thought horse knowledge was ingrained in all Texans? Or is it just horse
sense?

Regards.

Jerry Murphy
'67 +4