Re: Gas Tank sealers

To: Oddcarnut <Oddcarnut@aol.com>, Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Gas Tank sealers
From: ebrown@ms.com
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 11:52:01 -0500
     For what it's worth: I had a top of the line fuel cell made for my 57
     plus four by Fuel Safe, the California-based supplier to the
     autoracing world. I sent them my tank, which was rusty but solid, they
     fitted a neoprene bladder inside with foam baffles, solid state gas
     guage, new filler neck made also from neoprene. In the car, it looks
     stock, with a flat-black paint job. A nice-looking piece of goods.
     Cost: about US$800 delivered. Once I got it into the car, put the
     rollbar in (in front of the gas can) and put gas in it, it LEAKED!
     Weeping around the edges of an oval aluminum plate on the front, which
     is usually covered up with "upholstery". Needless to say, I was
     steamed about this, but it being three days before the first race date
     and since the leak was modest, I doped the whole thing up and forgot
     about it. (They said if I shipped it back right away, they'd fix it,
     but that would have taken months...) It still weeps and I don't smoke
     cigars around the car any more, but I still feel that if I get shunted
     at Lime Rock or Pocono that my chances are better than with the
     original tin can. I clean the whole thing off before going out on the
     track and keep minimum gas in it during track work anyway, just what's
     needed. It only leaks a drop or two per day.

     My message to all of you is: if you get a fuel cell, fill it up with
     gas before you put it in the car to test it, even if you're buying the
     Rolls Royce of fuel cells, because you're not going to want to pull it
     back out again once you get it all reassembled.

     Also, don't be a last-minute rebuilder like me. Do things months in
     advance.

     Also; eat your broccoli, exercise regularly and don't smoke cigars!

     Race season starts in one month!

     Chip Brown