RE: "NOTAKIT" License plate

To: "'sgilbert'" <sgilbert@wpusd.k12.ca.us>
Subject: RE: "NOTAKIT" License plate
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:18:21 -0500
Steve,

Depends where you go in China, I suppose.  In Beijing, there was a
combination of bicycles, mopeds, cars, trucks and buses, but they all
stayed on the right hand side of the road in the city anyway.  Looking
down from my hotel room on the traffic on a main artery below (the one
that goes past the Forbidden City and Tienanmen Square), I could not
help but extrapolate what would happen if the people who rode the packed
buses moved up to bicycles, the bicyclists to mopeds and the moped
riders to passenger cars.  With the increased affluence, it's bound to
happen!

A very curious contraption I saw in the countryside was a three wheeled
vehicle that seemed to have been constructed from the front end of a
motor cycle and the back of a small van.  A three-wheeled device (but,
unlike a Morgan trike, one front wheel), with the driver/rider exposed
to the elements, and behind him an area to haul things.  Reminded me of
the post-WWII Tempo truck in Europe, but more primitive. Two-cycle, of
course.

Chuck
'52 +4
Pinawa, MB