Re: re-chroming windscreen frame

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: re-chroming windscreen frame
From: scott.barrie@CIMtegration.com (Scott Barrie)
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 09:16:40 -0500
David wrote:

>Has anyone out there had their windscreen frame re-chromed?  I have been
>told that there is a problem with this procedure.  Seems as if the male end
>of the lift dot fastners detatch  during plating.  Can anyone out there
>give me more details about this.

I have never had the windshield frame rechromed but over years have had
many parts for vintage motorcycles rechromed, and yes it's possible that
things will come adrift during the procedure. The problem is in the dip
that is used to strip the old chrome off. It is very agressive and while it
doesn't seem too interested in steel it will devour brass and so if the
lift-the-dot fastener bits have been brazed on (and they probably have)
they will most likely come adrift.

Just as an aside..... one time I arrived home with a couple of dozen bits
and pieces that had been replated. Every piece had been meticulously
individually wrapped in newspaper and I eagerly worked my way through the
box of treasures.  But as I was going through I found first one, then
another and ultimately 6 or 7 pieces that I didn't recognize. At first I
thought they must belong to someone else, then it sunk in. They were all
nicely chromed "pieces" of parts that I had taken in. They had come apart
in the tanks and rather than phone me and tell me about it the plater just
went ahead and plated them.

He had to restrip them, so that I could get them reassembled (with silver
solder this time, if I recall) so that he could replate them, yet again.

Cheers

Scott Barrie
'63 Plus Four
'90 Saab 9000