Re: '67 +4 4 seater

To: "Joe Speetjens" <joe@nhms.net>,
Subject: Re: '67 +4 4 seater
From: Jane McDaid <Murphys@ziplink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:54:57 -0500
At 01:44 PM 1/24/98 -0600, Joe Speetjens wrote:
>I've got a chance to buy a '67 +4 4 seater, one owner, 35000 mile Morgan.
>the car has never been restored, and was running when put up about 5 years
>ago, but had carberator problems.  Does any one have an idea of value?
>

>Thanks
>
>Joe Speetjens
>'96 Plus 8
>Gluckstadt, Mississippi USA

I bought my '67 +4 for $6000 in 1989, with 5500 miles showing, but it had
been very badly abused in storage and the engine and clutch were each
(lightly) frozen. I got it running and immediately brought it to a brake
shop & had them overhaul the binders. Tires were brittle, top had a tear
and bugs (Yes, BUGS!) had eaten the entire inner panel of the driver's side
door, leaving only the vinyl. Chrome & paint were poor, dash showed crazing
in the lacquer and the sheetmetal portion of the dash needed refinishing.
Exhaust was shot from damp storage.

You'll of course want to give the car a thorough inspection for rustworms,
paying particular attention to the area of the firewall under the battery
box, the undersides of the rear fenders where they nestle against the wood
of the wheel arches, flanges under the front fenders and the intersection
of the front inner fenders and the cowl(scuttle). As for wood rot, check
the wood at both ends of the rear wheel arches, the sills and any lower
joints you can access on the body and doors. See if the doors fit well when
closed or if they have sprung out of shape.

Just because it was running badly five years ago doesn't mean that it will
run at all today. See if the engine can be cranked by hand on the fan, or
by jacking one rear wheel and rolling it by hand with the trans in fourth
gear. You can also check to see if the clutch releases by using this
technique.

You haven't really given us enough information to accurately price this
car, but I suspect somewhere between $11K and $14K is fair if the condition
is reasonable and it looks to be roadworthy without much additional
expenditure. A basket case complete car is salable for at least $3500.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Jerry Murphy