Re: Fwd: Thinking of buying a 1938 4-4 Morgan

To: MJBisHere@aol.com, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fwd: Thinking of buying a 1938 4-4 Morgan
From: CobMeister <CobMeister@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 12:50:19 EST
Hey Mike,

I sincerely hope you are a young man.....

What you are about to take on is not only very expensive, it is a horrendously
time consuming task.  If you are young now, you will be old when it is done.
To make any reasonable stab at restoring this car will cost at least 20K and
tons of hours.  So, I suspect that at 7K it is overpriced by many, many
thousands of dollars.

This "friend" ain't.

I also suggest that to want a 1938 Mog you MUST have already driven one?  I
presume we are talking about a 4 wheeler, but still... it is unlike anything
you have ever driven before.

For 7 to 10K you can get a mid-sixties car that is at least together though it
will need tons of work.  Having a literal basket case it a tremendous
liability.

I personally know of basket case cars that have been "under restoration" for
20 years!  Do you have 20 years to blow?  I know of basket case Trikes that
have been apart for almost 50 years!  Gone through like 4 owners,  and folks
are still saying they are "under restoration."

If you want a Morgan (and believe it or not, they ain't for everybody... just
ask Arlo) join some groups, read Hemmings, stay on the net, and invest a
little time now, before you buy.  Unless you have already restored several
cars I do not think you should buy any Morgan that will not at least run a
little bit.

Pass this one up.  Believe me, you could have as much fun rolling around in
dirty motor oil while tearing up $20 bills to flush down the toilet.

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM
'66 Plus 4 & '65 Tiger MKI (formerly, he of the 1936 F2 Trike)