Re: Cambering about

To: Oddcarnut <Oddcarnut@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Cambering about
From: tjsouz@epix.net
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 08:54:50 -0800
Oddcarnut wrote:

> As a new Mog owner, I've just spent some quality time rebuilding the front end
> on my +4.  The wing flapping it displayed prior to rebuild was a wee bit
> alarming.  not a bad job....many thanks to Fred's Bedside Reader & John's web
> notes!!!
>
> While poking around under it, I was pondering ways to give it a bit more
> negative camber.  I'd like about a half degree or so for steet work but maybe
> more when flogging.  So far, the two common ways to go neg, are change the
> subframe or go to longer bottom plates & cut off the loops.
>
> For you experienced folks, has anyone ever tried making the lower or upper
> tubes adjustable?  My idea is to cut the lower tubes about halfway in from the
> ends.  Then tread them with right & lefthand threads.  Make up a suitable
> outer tube with internal threading to match.  Now it could be adjusted to suit
> one's fancy.  For safety's sake, a 1 piece inner tube should be added. (Which
> I did during the rebuild)
>
> Has anyone done this or is there some reason not to do this that I've missed
> (perhaps I've spent too much time in a 2 cycle Saab)???
>
> Cheers
>
> Ken Payne (Oddcarnut@aol.com)
> 63 +4, 4 seater; 61 Mini; 65 Saab 96 MC850; ?? Lotish 7
Hi,
I would suggest using the longer plates and setting the camber to 0
deg.  This will present your radials to the pavement at a better angle
while still presrving the vintage Morgan look. For better grip an
upgrade to whatever Yokohama, Goodyear, or Hoosier is in fashion with
the auto-x folks (and will fit) will do more than anything else.  Doing
an acceptable mod, your car will not become a mechanical outlier, but
rather will fit in nicely preserving its resale value.
The very best performance upgrade for any car is to send the driver to
performance driving school followed up by regular practice on the auto-x
circuit.
Regards, Tony Souza