Re: Jack Points

To: Armando Picciotto <apicciotto@wccusd.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Jack Points
From: George Gerth <ggerth@west.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 08:16:54 -0800
Armando Picciotto wrote:

> Any advice on what are the best points for jacking up my +4?  I've been
> using the chassis cross members for jacking up individual wheels, but is
> the differential OK for the two rear wheels together?  What about the
> two front wheels?
>
> Armando Picciotto
> '63 +4

Armando,
Having just removed the rear end on my 63 +4 to reweld the axle tubes to
the "pineapple" I don't think I will use my floor jack under the
differential any more.  I'm not sure jacking broke the welds or the
immense torque of the motor, but I will be more careful in the future.

I am now jacking the rear end by the crossmember just forward of the
rear end.  I use a small floor jack under the crossmember at the rear
bumper to lift the car enough to get a larger jack and 2x4 pad under
this crossmember.  When up in the air I support the car on jack stands
under the rear shackle, but notice a LOT of frame flex if the full
weight of the car is put on the jackstands way back there...

On the front, I put the jack under the front cross tube, but pad it with
a 2x4 that spans all the way across to the frame mounting points.

BTW, why are you jacking it up???
George Gerth
ggerth@west.net