To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net, ebrown@ms.com
Subject: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
From: Richard Lancaster <RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 15:27:14 -0400

     Mr. Vandergraaf's citation on decarbonizing gaskets reminds me
of a
     huge question: According to one of our respected Fairfield
County
     Connecticut mechanics (who will remain nameless here, but is
really a
     good guy) the best way to decarbonize a cylinder head short of a

     rebuild is to gradually feed water into the intake of the
carburetter,
     putting in about one quart per cylinder. The trick, he says, is
     keep the car running while you are doing this. The proof that it

     works: how clean the head and valves are of a car with a really
bad
     blown head gasket.

     I don't know about this and can think of a million reasons why I
don't
     want to do this to any motor car I care about. Have any of the
rest of
     you tried this, heard about it, have an opinion? It sounds very
     strange but I have a lot of respect for the guy I heard it from.

     Chip Brown

Similar but not the same...British American here in Columbia, MD just
used a process on my 1976 Impala tank, a GM product poured into each
cylinder and then run for a while.  Causes much smoke for a while but
supposedly cleans out the carbon.  Now they also do stuff on my MGB
that is beyond me, but have never suggested such a thing for the lbc.

R. Lancaster