Re: LUCAS Voltage Regulators...

To: DELUCAJ <DELUCAJ@mops.wl.com>, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: LUCAS Voltage Regulators...
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 22:59:33 -0400
At 09:19 PM 5/28/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I'm looking for a source for a reasonably priced voltage regulator before
I call Morgan Spares.
>The '62 4/4 is currently sporting a LUCAS RB340 square boxy type (with the
letters E-D-WL-F-B stamped in the plastic cover).

Joe

  You sure made me do my homework.  I found a listing for the RB340 reg.
I'm supprised that your 62 used that.  I'd be interseted in hearing from
other owners as to which type they have.  (Wonder if Morgan made a
substitution because the couldn't get the RB106-2 one or it was replaced.)

My TR3's used the RB106-2 and that is what was on my Morgan since I
purchased it in 69. Anyway according to my LUCAS cat. the RB340 has 4
different models:

NCB130 used on:
   Austin America 1968-69
   Ford Cortina   1960-69
   TR spitfires   1963-70.

NCB132 used on:
   Massey Ferguson Tractors

NCB133 used on:
   Bentley      1958-65
   Jag XKE 3.8  1961-63
   Rolls Royce  1958-65

NCB134 no uses listed.

However, it shows that the RB106 (NCB101 - which has the screw on terminals
instead of the push on terminals of the NCB100) was used on Morgan 1951-167
all models.

My Cortina manual lists a 37344 and 37342 regulator which I can't find in
my Lucas cat.  However, the picture is an RB340 reg. which should have 3
coils inside while the RB106 only has 2.

My 67 Spitfire manual also show the RB340 reg.

Unfortunately the only TRF Spitfire Cat. I have is for my 77 1500.  They
show a LU37595 which is a UCB104 or a 2 wire square box.

Trying to cross all these numbers back to TRF, I can find listings for
NCB131 (which is what you have I think - notice in the above numbers there
is NO NCB131) a NCB100 and a NCB101.  Again the main difference between
the NCB100 & NCB101 is the 100 has the push on connectors while the 101
has the screw down terminals.  In short, you should be able to get either
one from TRF.  They are about $53 in my '93 catalogue.

All the manuals have alignment procedures for trying to align the regulators.

Joe, I  hope this helped.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  495-8229

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire