Re: Stainless Steel

To: CTDreher@aol.com
Subject: Re: Stainless Steel
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 11:43:34 -0400
At 09:15 AM 5/24/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Anyone have a good source for stainless steel Wentworth nuts, bolts and
>studs?  I don't want to change the car so that it could never be made
>"authentic" again, i.e., rethread everything for SAE, but I want the
>non-corrosive parts since I expect to drive the trike when it's done.

Carl,

  Most of the bolts can be changed to SAE with out rethreading anything.
Check out the Nuts & bolts list one SOL's  Morgan Web page.  Anything that
threaded holse on the engine, xmission, or rear end should be left alone.
(Note:  Most of those holes are SAE any way)

  I converted my car to SAE.  For instance, the bolts that hold the gas tank
to its bed, the rear shock mounting plates that attach to the chassis, etc.
I don't remember any bolt hole on the car that's threaded, except on the
engine.  Everything is held in place with a nut & bolt.

  One other point.  Becarefull of where you uses Stainless.  Don't use it
on ANY suspension related item, such as the rear shock mounting plates.

I was working on my Bricklin the other day, I had removed the tie rod ends
and the cross link from the adjusting collar.  This required opening the
clamps that hold the collar in place.  When I reassembled it, I used stainless
steel bolts and nuts.  I used the nuts& bolts to pull the clamp closed.  Not
very difficult to do, and I had the part laying in my lap.  I went to remove
one of the stainless steal bolts for some reason and couldn't.  I had to
clamp the cross link in a vise to hold it and really work on backing out the
bolt.  It snapped!  To my amazement.  So I checked the other 4 bolts.  They
all SNAPPED!!!  They were imediately replaced with Grade 8 bolts.

One other note, besure to use lock-tight (sp) on ALL the nuts and bolts
holding the car together in addition to lock washers.  A good friend of mine
didn't during the restoration of his +4.  He took it to Mog 25 and drove it
around some.  All kinds of things kept falling off as the nuts and bolts
worked loose.  He has since gone back and put lock-tight on ALL the nuts
and bolts.

Ps.  The Factory has converted to metric.  So you could convert all the
nuts and bolts to metric also.  As far a authentic, no one can tell the
Withworth from metric from SAE with out trying to put a wrench on it.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  495-8229

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire