Brake fluid

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Brake fluid
From: pdburket@intrepid.net (David & Pat)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 16:10:12 -0500
Fellow Morganeers,

I have just completed the installation of  the braking system on my '60
Plus 4.  All components are new.   I believe that I have an opportunity to
choose either DOT 3 or DOT 5 brake fluid into my system.  I have read about
the advantages and disadvantages of both types of fluids in regards to
collector cars.  I would prefer to use the newer DOT 5 fluid (silicone
base), but have some reservations that are listed as follows;
        1. Is there a mechanical brake switch that could be installed as a
replacemant to the standard brake switch?   I understand a  mechanical
switch should preserve the reliability the of brake lights when DOT 5 fluid
is used.

        2. Will the the new vintage era replacement wheel cylinders
supplyed for Morgans weep DOT 5  fluid after a period of use?

        3. Has anyone out there actually replaced the fluid in a rebuilt
braking system with DOT 5 fluid? and if so, what was your experience?

         4. What type of fluid is currently used on modern Morgans?  How
does the  braking system of a modern Morgan differ from that of  the
vintage Morgan?

I realize I am asking a lot.  Like many Morgan people who do a rebuild, I
am striving for a renovation rather than a restoration.

Morgan dittos,

David