MORGAN trips

To: "List MORGAN" <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MORGAN trips
From: "Gerry Willburn" <Gerry_Willburn@qmail4.nba.TRW.COM>
Date: 20 Jan 1997 14:47:15 -0700
Why does the Plus 4 re 4/4 debate continue?  It's different strokes, etc.

I just read the comments from Joseph Speetjens in which he says that he would
have been reluctant to take a long trip in his Plus 4.  My experience is
different.

My wife and I have made long trips in both Plus 4s and 4/4s.  We drove our Plus
4, 4-seater DHC on a 7,000 mile trip from California to Toronto and back some
years ago and more recently about 2,500 miles around England in a 4/4.  Both
cars performed admirably and with no mechanical problems.  One could however,
notice differences.

The Plus 4 felt heavier, more comfortable (but that may just be the difference
between a DHC and a roadster) and more powerful (torqueier).  The 4/4 felt
lighter, more nimble and woefully under powered.

The 4/4 was great for the narrow country roads in England but was not so much
fun on the Motorways.  I do not think we would have enjoyed it as much as the
Plus 4 across the U.S.A. on freeways.  On the other hand, John McNaughton (of
round the World fame) drives his 4/4 from California to Maine regularly.

Different strokes.