Re: ? of 4/4 owners

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: ? of 4/4 owners
From: smithmog@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 20:33:26 -0800
John T. Blair wrote:

> Hey gang,
>
>    In one of my articles, I've indicated that the 4/4 Ford engines
> were painted Ford Blue.  I originally got this information from
> John Sheally III.
>
>    One of the items I got gigged on at the AACA National meet was
> the color of the engine.  I wrote the Factory and asked them about
> the color of the engine and the temp. guages.  Their responce was
> that the temp. guage was part of a "guage cluster" and that the
> engine was painted black.
>
>    I believe that the person that answered my letter was confused.
> We've had the discussion on the temp guages and according to my
> car, everything I've been able to find in the books and you comments
> the temp guage was a option that was usually mounted on the outboard
> edge of the dash (as is mine).  This goes against what the Factory
> said.
>
>    So the next obvious question, is what color(s) are the Ford engines
> in your cars?  Do you know if they were repainted?
>
> Thanks for the input guys.
>
> John
>
> John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@exis.net
> Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229
>
> 48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget  65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
>      75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire
>
> The one with the most toys, wins!

John-My 1968 4/4 1600 has a black engine and a Ford blue rocker
cover.Engine is original as near as I can tell.As to the temp gauge, this
did not become a part of the "gauge cluster" on 4/4's until the 'safety
dash' appeared about 1971.It had been part of the Plus4 gauge cluster,
which had fuel/amps/oil press./temp., but 4/4's only had a 3-gauge
cluster with oil/fuel/amps.Thankfully, mine has the accessory gauge which
looks like a standard Smiths period piece over on the far left side of
the dash on my LHD car.Living in Texas, life would be interesting without
this gauge!(I believe a tach was an option on 4/4's until about 1970!)
Hope this helps-
        Jeff Smith-Dallas Tx.
        1968 4/4 2str