Re: Help with Noise

To: apicciotto@wccusd.k12.ca.us (Armando Picciotto), morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help with Noise
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 21:02:15 -0400
At 07:16 PM 10/5/96 -0700, Armando Picciotto wrote:
> Anyway, my newest problem is a noise coming out of the right rear
> wheel when I break hard.  It happens after running the car after
> 1/2 hr or so, and it's a periodic "clunk, clunk, ..." as the car
> begins to come to a stop.

Does you car have wire wheels?  Sometimes you'll hear the spokes
working.

How fast are you going when you hear the clunk clunk?  Once you hear
it, does it speed change as you continue to slow down?

> Could bearings be causing it? I thought bearing failure would cause
> more of a grinding noise.

Possible but I doubt it.  Usually bearings are a groan, a low pitched
whine.  Similar to tire noise - especially of the 4x4's with the bigger
tires.

My 1st guess would be the rear U joint.  But that doesn't explain why
it sounds like it's comming from the right rear.

Another possiblility is the breaks are binding on the drum.  With the
wheel on the drum and the car jacked up, you should be able to spin
the rear wheel.  When you release it, it should spin about 1 turn.
If less, the brakes are binding and you need to back off the adjuster
a flat.  Be carefue adjusting the brakes.  The adjuster is pyramid shaped.
So as you adjust them, you come up on a side and the brakes will bind.
Go a little further and you come off the side to the flat.  That's
where you want to be, on a flat.

Last possibility is that the brake drum or backing plate is warped or
bent just a bit.  As you slow down, you hear them hitting.  Check for
shinny metal on the outer lip of the drum and packing plate.

Are you in a turn when you hear this?  Could you end play on the rear
end be too much.  Also check the nuts & bolts holding the backing plate
on.  If these are loose the axle can slide in and out and make a
noise.

The only other thing I can think of, is that the rubber bushings on the
rear spring are shot, and you hear the bolt going through the spring
or the shackle hitting the spring or shackle.

Hope this helps, let us know what you find.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!