Re: Morgan Plus 8 Transmission problems

To: LanceKL@aol.com
Subject: Re: Morgan Plus 8 Transmission problems
From: Martin Kurrein <mkurrein@mkurrein.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 08:21:00 +0100
In message <960920204547_526841289@emout18.mail.aol.com>,
LanceKL@aol.com writes
>Hi
>
>A question for all you Morgan Gurus out there.
>
>Just experienced a problem with my 81 Plus 8.  Had two occasions a couple of
>weeks ago when I was not able to put the car into second gear.  The problem
>seems to come and go.  Have been out of the country for a week and haven't
>had a chance to drive it again.
>
>Anyway, anticipating the worst, my question is, do I have to remove the
>engine to get the transmission out of the car.
>
>Lance in Atlanta

The bad news is - yes.

The better news is that it is possible to modify the sub frame & fixing
bolts (replacing with studs/fixed nuts?) so that you will not have to do
so in the future. I cannot give precise details on this right now - I'll
have a chat to my man at Libra Motive. He modified my car (and several
others) and may be willing to divulge the secrets!

The Rover +8 box has a "remote" linkage at the rear - it may well be
that it is this that is at fault rather than the box itself.

Good luck.
---
Martin Kurrein               |     No brilliance is needed in the law.
mkurrein@mkurrein.co.uk      |     Nothing but common sense,
http://www.mkurrein.co.uk/   |     and relatively clean finger nails.
                                                        John Mortimer