Re: Morgan Dashboard

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Morgan Dashboard
From: scott.barrie@CIMtegration.com (Scott Barrie)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 00:33:05 -0500
Bob:

While I'm a huge fan of oiled finishes on wood, I would hesitate doing a
dashboard that way without doing some research into the uv protection they
offer. I would also be concerned about the finish breaking down in intense
sunlight... Maybe do a test on a scrap of wood and leave it outside for a
while.

As far as the water-based varnishes are concerned, in my experience, they
do lift the grain, but only on the first coat. Sand that off and recoat and
you should be fine. They supposedly have an advantage over solvent-based
finishes in that they don't seem to yellow as much with age - although that
may vary from brand to brand.

I refinished the original (english) walnut dash in my car about 15 years
ago using a solvent-based high gloss polyeurethane (sp?) - Flecto, if
memory serves - then cut the gloss by rubbing with rottenstone and water.
It has stood up well and still looks good (except for those two spots that
I always meant to touch up and never got around to :-)).

My recommendation would be to try out several finishes on scraps of walnut
and see which appeals the most to you.

Good luck

Scott Barrie
'63 Plus 4