Air Filters on pre '68 +4 -Reply

To: morgans@autox.team.net, apicciotto@wccusd.k12.ca.us
Subject: Air Filters on pre '68 +4 -Reply
From: David Crandall <davidc@netwrk.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 10:49:15 -0400
Armando's alarm about fitting the "wedge" air filter reminds me of my
investigation of this dilemma which included trips from sea to shining sea.
 [BTW, I can't fit one of these to my 63 DHC nor can another
Massachusetts compadre to his 58 - insufficient clearance.]  I have seen
various solutions to this problem, including making a spacer out of shoe
leather that extends the bonnet stop and pushes the bonnet out enough
to clear the thing!  It seems to be largely a matter of which manifold and
carb setup is on a given car, i.e., there are "short" throat manifolds and
"long", the SUs perhaps as well.  [I believe this is the real determinant,
once you start looking closely the length difference is obvious.]  Jim
Taylor, a SoCal owner, was unable to refit his filter after his car was
restored!  Some folks have been able to get the clearance by grinding
down the manifold face and/or using a thinner spacer/gasket between
the carbs and the manifold.  Cars that are ostensibly the same year and
model will have different clearances under the bonnet [every Morgan a
unique construction!].  Bottom line for me was a big maybe, not enough to
put up the $$.

Armand, I'll bet  there are a number of folks stateside who have
one of these puppies laying around [including my friend up here] who'd
by willing to let you have a trial fit/conditional sale just for the cost of the
shipping.  Or, I know Penny Bates at Olde World Restorations has/had at
least one of these, although possibly pricier than Melvyn's, even w/
shipping from the UK.  Of course, unless you're a high mileage driver in a
grotty part of the country, you could just guts it out like most of us!  Good
luck!