Pulling 4/4 engine

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Pulling 4/4 engine
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 10:36:30 -0400
Fellow fiends:

Well, being the flake that I am, I think I'm taking the 4/4 off the market
and keeping it.  In a sense its not really ready to sell, as I have
developed an oil leak at the rear main.  Which brings me to my questions.

Members of my local car guy support group and I are planning on tackleing
this problem head on!  By our reconning, the engine needs to be pulled to
make this repair.  The 120E engine appearently has a two part rope seal and
one really needs to drop the crank to replace it.  If so, then we thought we
might as well replace bearings.  If that is so, we might as well pull the
engine.  If that is so...

A dramatic demonstration of shipwrights disese!

My simple question:  how hard is it to pull the 4/4 engine but leave the
tranny in the car?  It looks like there should be plenty of room, but maybe
I'd have to remove the fan first?  Any experience?  John B.?

Any advice on this job?  I don't think the engine NEEDS anything, but if it
is necessary to yank it out, it does make sense that it'd be a good time to
sort of go through things.

Comments?
Advice?
Donations?