Re: SMOG Buster

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, autox@autox.team.net, healeys@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: SMOG Buster
From: lmyer@ltec.net (Les Myer)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 19:06:11 -0600
>A revolutionary product is now available in a version somewhat affordable for
>your british car.  It's called the Inset Fuel Stabilizer, Model C-100 and
>sells for $495US plus shipping.

I dislike cross-posting like this, but will make an exception for this case.
I apologize up front to those who may take offense.

I checked out the web site and the technical information is conveniently
omitted.  This one ranks right up there with the "State Fair" spark
intensifiers of years-gone-bye.  This $495.00+ stabilizer must be some sort
of a pressure regulator or restriction device that in effect reduces the
amount of fuel available to your carburetors or maybe it injects air in with
the fuel somehow. Seems like I remember J.C. Whitney selling something like
this in the 60's for $29.95 or so.  In any case, what it appears it must do
is to make your engine run leaner.

Lets suppose your carbs are mis-adjusted and are running too rich.  Leaning
out the fuel mixture with an external device would indeed reduce emissions
and improve fuel mileage.  If the engine was "loading up" from an extremely
rich mixture, this device even might improve throttle response.  A 14:1 (if
I remember correctly) air:fuel ratio is optimum.  However, too lean is not
good, either, and would occur if this device leaned out a properly tuned
fuel system further.  Remember what happens when you hit the oxygen lever on
a torch.

Gasoline is gasoline.  Unless this device changes gasoline to something
else, it can do nothing to improve combustion efficiency or throttle
response of a fuel system that is delivering the proper fuel mixture.

I say, spend the $495.00 for beer while you tune your carburetors.

DKeetley@aol.com, I challenge you to refute what I am saying about your
device. Convince me, and I will put it in the tech section on my Austin
Healey Sprite web site, PDLJMPR Web Magazine (http://www.probe.net/~lmyer/).
Otherwise, don't waste the bandwidth.  I warn you that it will take much
more than a few marketing ploys such as "testimonials" to accomplish this.
Somehow, I don't think I will ever hear from you unless you decide to send
me nasty e-mail - but that would just wind up in my reader feedback section
for all to see.

Les Myer
67 Sprite
lmyer@ltec.net