Clutch Problem

To: apicciot@cccoe.k12.ca.us
Subject: Clutch Problem
From: jblair@nhr.com (John T. Blair)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 18:44:24 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 16 Mar 1996 22:21:21 Armando writes:

> My 63 +4 has a "shuddering" clutch.  For the first 15 to 20 minutes,
> the clutch works fine.  After everything is nice and warm, it's very
> difficult to "play" with the clutch because when you engage it at
> anything but the lowest  RPM's, it shudders like crazy.  It's not
> much fun driving the streets of San Francisco!  Anyone has any ideas?

You don't say weather this is a new clutch or not.  Clutches have a tendency
to start to chatter as they age.  If you've got any miles (25,000+) on it
you might think about replacing it.  I beleive that what usually happens is
that the springs on the pressure plate begin to weaken or 1 spring will fail.

However, this doesn't explain why it works fine when cold, unless the heat
is affecting one of the springs spring rate.

I have a very chattering clutch on my 84 Accord (my daily driver).  However,
I just put a new clutch in it.  Unfortunately, I didn't have the flywheel
resurfaced (trued).  Maybe I should have, but I've never done it anyother
time I've replaced a clutch on any of my cars (present or previous).I

Other possibilities are a flywheel that is warped or grease (or oil) leaking
and getting onto the clutch parts.
John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  495-8229

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire