mini-baja

Re: Speedometer - Baja

To: SCOTT BATDORF <batdorf.5@osu.edu>,
Subject: Re: Speedometer - Baja
From: jcs28@acsu.buffalo.edu
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:59:08 -0500
Our team had a custom digital speedometer/tachometer/trip computer last
year and is building a new, revised version for our new car this year.
There is no premade parts available that I know of, ours was built from
scratch and programmed by a computer engineer on our team.  It uses a
magnetic holoeffect sensor to pick up shaft rpm in the reduction box to
calculate speed, distance, etc. and another holoeffect sensor on the engine
flywheel to get engine rpm.

I've seen some aftermarket speedos for atv's that could probably be made to
work on a baja car without too much trouble, or maybe even get a stock atv
speedo and modify that to fit your car.  I'm sure bicycle speedos could
also work, but I question their durability and ease of installation in a
baja car.

Justin Scheifflee
UB Mini-Baja
http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/Students/Organizations/sae/

--On Monday, February 14, 2005 9:04 AM -0500 SCOTT BATDORF