mini-baja

RE: total reduction

To: "Hallman, David M." <DMHALLMAN@stthomas.edu>
Subject: RE: total reduction
From: susantoa@pdx.edu
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 14:09:16 -0700
It may be quicker, but it's not that accurate, especially if you're using a
CVT.  Theoretical values are helpful, but when the CVT is in place, that value
can change quite a bit.  Even if you're not using a CVT and the torque values
and top speed values can be calculated, losses, rolling resistance, etc affect
the actual numbers.  I don't know of too many teams who have values for rolling
resistance, drive train losses, etc for each of their individual cars.  For
example, you may have a top speed of 45mph calculated but in reality you're out
of horsepower before you reach that speed on a flat terrain.  That doesn't get
reflected in DoE unless you have every bit of losses accounted for.

Good idea though,

Andre S