mini-baja

RE: Fish Mounting Tubes

To: Jason Beech <jpbeech@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: Fish Mounting Tubes
From: Sam Drake <drake@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:55:19 -0700 (MST)
On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Jason Beech wrote:

> We have been using our lathe.  Spin a metal hole saw of the diameter of
> your tube, while holding the tube that you are cutting stationary.
>
> Just don't feed the tube into the hole saw very fast otherwise you will
> start snapping off teeth.
>
> We have tried using a pipe-notcher - it works a little faster, but you
> can get higher accuracy and a broader range of angles out of the lathe.
>

> Jason Beech
> Mechanical Engineering
> UCCS Vice-President UCCS SAE

We have used basically the same technique except that instead of using a
hole saw, we mount a multi-tooth roughing mill in a collet in the lathe
spindle.  We hole the tube in a boring bar holder on the compound tool
block and feed the tube into the roughing mill.

However, if you are good with a grinder, you can use a grinder to fit the
tubes just about as fast and accurate.

Sam Drake
University of Utah