mgs

Re: [Mgs] Vintage MGBGT sighting

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Vintage MGBGT sighting
From: Larry Colen <lrc@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 10:45:05 -0800

> On Feb 28, 2024, at 9:05 AM, David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, February 28, 2024 at 04:45:47 AM PST, Dan DiBiase
> <dan.dibiase@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Man, I remember this. I was a CD subscriber for decades, starting around
> > this
> > time. Still have hundreds of them (and Road and Track, Hot Rod, etc). This
> > was
> > really great automotive writing and adventure. The magazines are a shadow
> > of
> > themselves these days.
>
> Yeah, I began subscribing to C/D in high school, so almost 50 years ago.  It
> stood
> out from the pack because of its excellent writing and irreverent attitude.
> I still
> get it, but I don't think I've cracked the cover of one in over a year.  It
> just isn't
> compelling anymore.  A lot of the best writers got pulled away into David
> Davis'
> Automobile Magazine, which later folded, and left C/D bereft.

Yeah C/D was the most fun of the lot.  I thought that R/T had the best
technical stuff, and but I loved Peter Egan's column.  His story of driving a
Frogeye from Wisconsin(?) back to Southern California was a classic.  I loved
the line "65 MPH is 4000 RPM, All. Day. Long."  I also loved reading Satch
Carlson and Denise McCluggage in Autoweek.  It turned out that my dad
peripherally knw McCluggage when he raced MGs in the Northeast back in the 50's.

--
Larry Colen
lrc@red4est.com  sent from ret13est