mgs

71 BGT rear wheel cylinders

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 71 BGT rear wheel cylinders
From: "Daniel Williford" <williford@verizonmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 22:10:10 -0500
I've replaced the wheel cylinders, brake shoes, hardware, etc. on my 71 BGT.
The shoe adjusters were frozen solid, but with generous application of heat via
propane torch, a prudent amount of penetrating oil, and the determined efforts
of a persistent friend, they are now free to adjust and coated with much
anti-seize lube...

The E-clips holding on the wheel cylinders are rather uncooperative. I assume
that, when properly installed, the clips should hold the cylinders firm with no
movement. Unfortunately, once I get the clip to a point where there is no
cylinder movement, slight pressure on the clip or cylinder results in the same
wiggling I am attempting to remedy.

Any suggestions on how to get the small E-clip tabs to correctly lock in the
grooves on the cylinders to prevent movement? I've seen a couple of custom
built tools (reference Mr. Hunt's invaluable site), but would like to get the
system back together and bled in short order without fear of compromised rear
brakes....

I'm on the digest version, so direct replies and any advice appreciated.

Thanks-
Dan