mgs

Re: Still Overheating ????

To: Randy Widman <riwidman@buckeye-express.com>
Subject: Re: Still Overheating ????
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:28:05 -0500
  If you put in a 193* thermostat, that's the lowest the temp can run,
because the coolant temp has to get that high in order to open the
thermostat.  I use a 180* 'stat in my '69 B year 'round.  My temp gauge
indicates in the middle of the range on the highway, lower than that in
town.  I have to block half the radiator and cover the oil cooler in the
winter in order to get the engine temp up to "normal."

   If your gas gauge works OK, there's nothing wrong with the voltage
stabilizer; it supplies regulated voltage to the gas & temp gauges.

  Have you tried a new temp sender?  I think I'd check the fan 'stat
specs; 215* sounds kind of high.  You do have a shop manual, don't you?
   How'd you check that coolant temp?  Seems like it ought to boil over
once you take the cap off.  What was the temp reading on the gauge at
that time?  Gotta be systematic.

   Here's a test you might try:  Pull the plug off the fan 'stat, make
up a jumper lead for it; start the engine and watch the temp gauge; when
the temp gets up past normal, short the plug to start the fans and see
what the temp gauge indication does.  It ought to drop a bit.

   Good luck,

    CR

Randy Widman wrote:
> Hi Listers,