mgs

RE: Front Valance colors

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Front Valance colors
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 13:35:05 -0500
> Hmm, never thought abut that, Chuck, I always assumed that
> the cars used
> for the photos in Original MGB were selected for just that
> reason - they
> were 'original' or restored to 'original' specs.... Which of the many
> books has 'period pictures of then-new cars'.?

Well, to my knowledge, Clausager is the best there is for MGs.  But
'Restored to original specs' leaves a lot of room for small changes
(especially when they were restored before the best available guide was
published).  So whatever these owners did in their restoration has now
become the official history since those cars are used in the book.

Some will consider it to be picking the fly sh*t out of the pepper, but
when I'm doing things like repainting the radiator or heater box, I want
to use the correct paint gloss.  The pictures in Clausager show all of
these items to be a very glossy finish, which doesn't seem to agree with
what I see in some of the factory literature.

When taking pictures of late MGBs, why weren't cars such as the
Moss-owned LE, or the one provided to the Ford musuem used, rather than
privately owned vehicles which may have had any number of modifications
made?

Surely some period photographs are stored somewhere, whether taken by
the factory or by their advertising agencies.