mgs

Re: knock off wheels on ebay Now Widest Tyres

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: knock off wheels on ebay Now Widest Tyres
From: "james" <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:24:55 -0600
> Depends on the offset.  You might have problems with the inside of the
> rim rubbing against the tie rod end at full lock with 14s, too, so I'd
> check that..
>
> 205s are probably a good place to start
>
> Skye

205/60R15 is what a lot of the V8 guys run, I haven't heard any complaints
about rubbing, and it does not require clearance.  What I can't give you is
the proper offset for a wheel with those tires on it.  We have never reached
a consensus on that.  I have heard anything from +23 to +33.  My wheels have
a +28 offset, and are 5.5" wide.  I haven't put tires on them yet but, I
bought them from Spridgetech and they swore they would fit on my B with
these tires.  None of this applies to 14" wheels directly but since all of
these things factor in, you can work back to 14" wheels from these numbers.
>From what I have heard if you go any wider you will have to roll the fender
lips in at the very least.

Consider that depending on the rim width the tire cross-section is somewhat
wider than the tread width (the 205 specified).  Most tire companies will
list cross-section width for given rims and often some indication of how the
cross-section will change with rim changes.  This is where the tire will
rub, so if you have a narrow rim and put wide tires on it the tire will
bulge more than intended and you could run into interference problems even
with narrower tires.

james