mgs

Novice 77B "mechanic" needs help and advice

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Novice 77B "mechanic" needs help and advice
From: "Larry Richardson" <tangodnzr@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 17:06:57 -0700
Hi.  I have a few questions regarding my 77MGB  that I am trying to get back
into decent shape.  My stepfather originally purchased the car new. He had a
few modifications done to it... a weber 45dcoe side draft carb.; a custom
welded towing bar frame added; roll bar installed; all of the emission
parafanalia removed or disconnected, and I believe I remember him saying a
"new" cam of somekind.  He eventually tired of it and I traded my 75B to him
for it, and he sold the 75 for what he could get.  He passed away a few
years ago so all the specifics of exactly what was done are no longer
available, and I don't remember who he had do the work.  I drove the car for
awhile until ignorantly cracking the head with the water to overheated
engine trick.  It then sat in my drive way from 92 until this past august
when I finally decided to do the work on it I had been telling myself I
would all these years.  3 or 4 years ago I did pull the engine, as the
clutch was going bad and I intended to replace it too.  I have now replaced
the head and clutch, the car is up and running again, but I have many, many
things to do to get it back into top shape. I live in Phoenix, Az, and 8-9
years sitting in the sun, (I did have a cover over it the majority of the
time) has literally rotted any thing of a rubber nature.
My first question is:  The crankcase breather pipe has a short hose (10-12
inches)attached to it that leads foreward near the radiator and just ends
there, When I drive the car, I have noticed that I will get occasional?
smoke out of it and sometimes it even "belches" some oil out. What is the
cause of this?  Also I notice when I remove the oil filler cap that there is
smoke in the rocker arm area, is this "blow-bye"? and an indication that the
rings may be bad.?  I don't seem to get a lot of tailpipe smoke.
Question #2..... I have just purchased a new set of polyurethane A-arm
bushings.  I have 2 maintenance manuals..Autobooks Owners Workshop Manual by
Kenneth Ball, and The Robert Bentley Workshop manual, the suspension
section, like many are identical in both, but neither seems to address the
replacement of those bushings. What is the proper procedure?
any help would be greatly appreciated.

  Larry